Skip Nav

Substitute Teaching

Substitute Teaching in Bond, Christian, Effingham, Fayette and Montgomery Counties




Must hold an Associate’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited institution of higher education or show completion of 60 semester hours of coursework.



  • Valid for substitute teaching in all grades of the public schools, prekindergarten through grade 12.
  • Short-Term Substitute licenses are valid until June 30, 2029, and may not be renewed. 
  • Short-Term Substitute cannot teach more than 5 consecutive days per licensed teacher.
  • Short-Term Substitute must complete a training program provided by the school board.


Apply online through your ELIS account.

Interested in becoming a substitute teacher or substitute paraprofessional?

A good place to start is to read through this document (PDF)


To substitute teach in Illinois individuals are required to hold a valid Illinois Professional Educator License (PEL) OR a Substitute Teaching License.

The only way to apply for a PEL or a Substitute Teaching License or a Paraprofessional License is through ELIS:

Educator Licensure Information System (ELIS)


You will need to go through the ELIS wizard to complete either license application. You will need a debit/credit card to pay the application fee.


Applicants can bring official transcripts to one of our ROE offices and we will be happy to scan and submit them to ISBE for you. While you can do that yourself, ISBE told us that it will be faster if the ROE submits them for you.


When the license is issued, you will need to register it. This fee is also payable by debit/credit card through ELIS.


After you receive your license via ELIS and if you are interested in substitute teaching in the ROE 3 (Bond, Christian, Effingham, Fayette and Montgomery Counties) region, we recommend that you stop by one of our offices and apply for an ROE 3 Substitute Authorization Certificate. The cost is $25. We require a physical examination by a board-certified and licensed physician. We will also arrange a fingerprint criminal background check for you through Bushue Human Resources. There is a fee for this service paid to Bushue.


The Regional Office of Education will hold all these records for you and issue the Substitute Authorization Certificate. The Substitute Authorization Certificate allows you to substitute at any school in the ROE 3 region without additional background checks and associated costs.


To learn more about ELIS and how it works, please review the documents, webinars and presentations on the  ISBE's Educator Licensure website


The Illinois State Board of Education will accept telephone calls and written correspondence. The general number for the Division of Educator Licensure is 217-557-6763, and the address is Illinois State Board of Education, Educator Licensure Division (S-306), 100 North First Street, Springfield, Illinois 62777-0001.

As always, you may call the Regional Office of Education at any of our locations for assistance.

In a nutshell, the essentials for obtaining a Substitute Teaching License are:
  1. Anyone with 60 semester hours or an associate's degree or higher is eligible for a substitute teaching license.
  2. A substitute teaching license is valid for five years and may be renewed with payment of registration fees. A short-term sub license is valid through June 30, 2029, and is not renewable.
  3. Individuals who hold a license indicative of a bachelor’s degree (such as a professional educator license) can substitute on that license.
  4. Applicants must pay a $50 application fee for the sub-license and a $25 application fee for the short-term substitute license.


Paraprofessional requirements are summarized here:

Substitute Reimbursement Information

In efforts to reduce the substitute teacher shortage, ISBE is now offering a reimbursement of the application fee to qualifying applicants.


To see if you qualify, please check the ISBE website for information:

Substitute Teaching

View Resources By

Regional Office of Education Locations

Christian County

Taylorville Office
210 South Webster
Taylorville, IL 62568
PHONE: 217-824-4730
FAX: 217-824-2464

Effingham County

Effingham Office
101 N. 4th St. Room 204
Effingham, IL 62401
PHONE: 217-342-4363
FAX: 217-342-3577

Fayette County

Vandalia Office
1500 West Jefferson
Vandalia, IL 62471
PHONE: 618-283-5011
FAX: 618-283-5013

Montgomery County

Hillsboro Office
203 South Main St
Hillsboro, IL 62049
PHONE: 217-532-9591
FAX: 217-532-5756